I seem to be headed in the right direction, but am stuck figuring out how
to make a persistance call given a param being passed from the JSP.
Here's what I have:

item_list.jsp
-------------
<s:link beanclass="org.stripesbook.quickstart.action.ItemDetailsActionBean">
      <s:param name="id" value="${item.id}"/>${item.name}
</s:link>

In my action bean, I need to figure out how to take the item.id and use it
as a param to my query in my DefaultHandler.  Right now, I have something
hard-coded:

ItemDetailsActionBean.java
--------------------------
      @DefaultHandler
      public Resolution view() {
        item = (Item)Stripersist.getEntityManager()
                .createQuery("from Item where id = 1").getSingleResult();

                // forward to item_detail.jsp
          return new ForwardResolution(VIEW);
      }

Debugging shows this is bringing my object back for me.  Even with this
hard-coded, I'm having trouble displaying the results of this (valid)
item. The item is not empty, but all the fields show up as blank Is this
correct?

item_detail.jsp:
          <c:if test="${not empty actionBean.item}">
              date: ${item.dateFound}<br/>
              name: ${item.name}<br/>
              city: ${item.cityId}<br/>
              state: ${item.stateId}