I see the main advantage of ec2 is that you only pay for what you use.  For
example, if your site is normally not busy but gets seasonal spikes and you
have something set up where it load balances and scales out automatically.  Or
you need to move it from a normal instance to a large or high cpu instance
during peak periods.

Otherwise, if you have more or less the same traffic all year, a regular isp
will probably be a better deal.  For example, a normal ec2 instance is around
$70 a month if you leave it running the whole month.  You can find many hosting
providers for less than that per month.  (Note that you pay for your instance
whenever it's booted and running, even when it's not doing anything.)

I was at the Google I/O conference and their app server does sound very
appealing, but as others have pointed out, you have to program to their
proprietary api, but which should be expected considering what they're doing
for you.  It could be worth it if you have traffic spikes and don't want to
manage the load balancing stuff your self.  According to Google it
automatically scales out like crazy and it's completely transparent to your
application.