I can't seem to get the stripes:radio control to bind to my ActionBean.

Whenever my JSP loads, none of the radio buttons are selected.  I
would like to be able to specify a default value so that when the JSP
is loaded, one of the radio buttons are selected.

The stripes documentation indicates that the the "checked" value is
pulled from the ActionBean, but I'm not seeing that happen.

Is there something subtle about the way stripes radio buttons work or
the syntax that I'm missing?

I've tried to find working sample code on the internet, but everyone
seems to be asking the same question as me but not getting any answers.