Yes, you can do that. Personally I'd write

    <h2>Hello ${ empty actionBean.person.name ? "valued customer" :
actionBean.person.name }</h2>

Of course you want to prevent XSS attacks too:

    <h2>Hello ${ empty actionBean.person.name ? "valued customer" :
fn:escapeXml(actionBean.person.name) }</h2>

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM, William Krick <kr...@3feetunder.com> wrote:
> In a JSP, I can do something like this to display a value from the action
> bean...
>
> <h2>Hello ${actionBean.person.name} </h2>
>

> I'm trying to figure out how to display alternate text in the jsp if the
> value from the actionBean is null, but I can't figure out any syntax that
> works.  I was expecting something like this to work, but that doesn't seem
> to be the case...
>

> <h2>Hello ${ (actionBean.person.name != null) ? actionBean.person.name :
> 'valued customer'} </h2>
>

> Is something like this possible, or do I need to write a method in the
> actionBean that does this logic and returns the appropriate string?

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.