On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:16:29 -0800
> From: Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [SHORT TERM PLANS]
>
> I know I'm coming in a month late on this, but the holidays are over and now
> I'm paying attention again... ;-)
>
> I guess I missed the original thread suggesting the breakup of the Struts
> jar file into core and taglibs. I can see the rationale for splitting the
> taglibs out from the core framework. However, I'm not so sure that all the
> taglibs should be split out as a single entity. It seems to me that it would
> make more sense to split out each taglib as its own self-contained entity,
> in the manner of Jakarta Taglibs.
>
> I'm planning on making some other changes to the Struts build process in the
> near future, and I could certainly roll these in if people think it would be
> desirable.
>
> What do people think?

What about the stuff that's shared across multiple taglibs
(org.apache.struts.util.*, org.apache.struts.action.*, and so on)?  I
haven't checked them all, but I'd be surprised if *any* of the tag
libraries can stand on their own without needing the proposed
struts-core.jar anyway.

IMHO, having more smaller pieces makes life harder, not easier -- it's one
of the few negatives for using commons-*.jar instead of the old stuff that
was all right there waiting for you in struts.jar.

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig