I have come across the same issue as you are hinting on.  Here's my take on this.

I for one do not like certain things to be "static" i.e. contained in some file,
contained in some war, contained in the servlet container's path.  All this translates
to rebuilding the war, to update strings/validation rules, etc, and potentially
stopping / restarting the servlet container (perhaps only to fix a spelling
error....something a mere mortal user admin type could effectively do through an
editable interface).

I have also come up with the desire to have a "skinnable" application whereas the
"user interface" can be interchanged without necessarily affecting the business
processes.  This idea supports the ability to have jsp/html, wap, etc from the same
application.  Feasible with struts? unknown...

Storing the message strings in a db, along with elements of the UI (templates) is
certainly a nice to have item.  However, I would stress that we would need some sort
of cache service (aka fulcrum) to cache these resources for performance reasons.

Regards,
Mark