----- Original Message -----
From: "David Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: New Tests

> >Not exactly, 'running' the tests is the only thing that will take longer.
> >Building will actually be quicker with approach #2, because there's less
> >code to compile.
> >
> >Also, since I'm writing these from scratch (not changing anything that
> >exists), either technique will increase test time.
> >

> Don't the tests run when you build the distribution?

No, you have to specifically run the tests (assuming you've setup the proper
container config....tomcat.home.33, tomcat.home.40, etc)

> > > 2.  The jsp test is now dependent on other Struts tags' behavior.
What
> >if
> > > one those tags is broken?  The goal of testing is to isolate the most
> >basic
> > > usage which your first example does.
> >
> >I thought that was the purpose of tests.  If doing it this way, we can
> >identify bugs that might not have been caught before, that should be a
good
> >thing.
>
> Ideally, tests shouldn't rely on other components that could be broken
> because then you don't know why the test failed.

I don't understand what you mean by other components that could be broken.
The only way a test might falsely appear to pass is if <logic:equal> is
broken.
If there is enough concern, then I can certainly test with a scriptlet:

  <% if (request.getAttribute("runTest") == "testSomeTag"){%>

Thoughts?

--
James Mitchell