Quoting Andrew Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> It seems like utter madness to me.
> Mad! Mad! I tell you!
>
> Half of commons was split off from struts originally anyhow, and now to go
> and say we dont want to depend on it, lets redevelop it yet again
> internally...
> WTF?????
>
> Will we then see another cycle where the internally redevloped code is again
> split off to form a sort of neo-commons???
>
> <shakes head and sighs/>
>
> <snip>
> My preference would be for leveraging code that is in a logical place (ala
> commons-lang) and documenting the dependencies.
> </snip>
> +1

-1.

The commons-collections folks screwed much of the world (although not us,
because we only depend on a couple of classes that weren't moved to new
packages without backwards compatible deprecations) with their recent backwards
incompatible changes.  I'm not interested in supporting that behavior by
continuing to depend on them.

Put yourself in the position of a sysadmin for a Tomcat 5 installation where
some webapps need the old version of commons-collections.jar and some need the
new version.  What are *you* going to do?