From: "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: 1.2.0 is tagged and frozen

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:23:08 -0800, Paul Sundling wrote:
> I should probably still remove <author> tags from the docs and
> consolidate those into the volunteers page also.

I'm afraid that our volunteers page is subject to the same considerations as
the author tags. :(

* Low hanging suit. In the unlikely event of a law suit, this is a (very)
convenient list of parties to join to the action. We may think it's silly,
but it is what an attorney would do. Each of these people would then be
responsible for having themselves severed from the suit. (Guilty until
proven innocent, I'm afraid.) The ASF would do what they could, but
resources are limited; we shouldn't tempt fate.

* No strings attached. An important ASF principle is that all the code and
documentation belong to the Foundation and its Community. Tags and other
credits tend to imply some people "own" more of the resources than others.
When a resource is donated to the foundation, we need to emphasize that it
belongs to the Foundation, free and clear.

* Duty now for the future. ASF projects are meant to live for decades. The
current list is already lengthy. What will it look like ten years from now?
How much of the contributions of those we list today will really be part of
the product then? Tags and lists like these cannot be sustained for the full
life of an Apache product.

Sadly, we should probably trim the Who We Are page down to the list of
Struts Committers who are members of the Jakarta PMC, since these
individuals are the legal representatives of the Foundation. In this
context, the Struts Committee Members would be presented as the
"decision-makers" rather than the "authors". (Technically, what we do is a
"work for hire", even though we are all unpaid volunteers.)

Of course, we'd still give credit where credit is due via the CVS commits,
if for no other reason than to retain an audit trail. Of course, a very
ambitious attorney could still try to join everyone cited in the CVS log,
but the CVS events are shielded by the Committers being the actors, and so
it's a horse of a different color.