IMHO several of the xml.apache.org packages have triggered grief w.r.t.
backwards compatibility.  It's probably time to think about a different
infrastructure for XML->HTML conversions, although I would *really* like
to finish a Struts 1.0 release first.

Options to consider and/or think about for Struts docs (not exclusive,
just the one's I have heard about so far):

* Grin and bear it, and hope that Ant's <style> tag in 1.3 supports the
  new Xalan and/or the Xalan that is part of JAXP-1.1ea2.

* The Anakia system used to create most of the Jakarta web site
  (not XSLT based, but functionally similar to what we need it for).

* The "stylebook" system at xml.apache.org (undocumented, clunky,
  essentially unsupported, but very functional for people who understand
it).

* External approaches like <http://www.docbook.org>.

If we go shopping for a new document creation technology, here's my wish
list in descending priority order:

* Based on open source and/or freely reusable technologies.

* XML -> XML transformations (to create the TLDs).

* XML -> HTML transformations (to create the documentation).

* XML -> PDF transformations (to create nice printable versions
  of the documentation).

Every Jakarta subproject is facing the same sorts of decisions (in
particular, Tomcat needs to find a good solution for this), so it would
be worthwhile trying to coordinate if solutions can be found that
satisfy everyone's needs.

Craig