From: Dan Connelly
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 2/8/01 10:25 AM
Subject: Xalan Prerequisite for Build from Source

Its a bit of a gotcha here on the Struts installation page, concerning
the prerequisites for building from the (latest) source distribution:

*       Xalan XSLT Processor - If you are building Struts from the
source distribution, you must download and install version 1_2_D01 (or
later) of the Xalan <http://xml.apache.org/xalan>  XSLT processor (which
also includes the Xerces XML parser). This processor is used to convert
the Struts documentation from its internal XML-based format into the
HTML that is presented in the Struts documentation application.    [My
red.]

So, OK.  Xalan version_1_2_D02 does work, and it is later than
version_1_2_D01.

But Xalan version_2_0_D07 does not work.   I guess I was a bit foolish
assuming that Xalan-Java 2.x is a later release of Xalan-Java 1.x.
Yes, major number Revs are allowed to break backwards compatibility, so
its entirely new and not strictly a later release of Xalan.

But, it looks like Xalan-Java 1.x is now EOLed.  All the action is on
Xalan-Java 2.x.  So having a dependency on an orphaned release is not
too cool.

I take it that the dependencies here are Struts <= Ant (optional.jar) <=
Xalan.

Which means (roughly) that if Ant (optional.jar) gets upgraded, then the
Struts build.xml may need to be upgraded (??).  At that point, the
developers building Struts from source may need to upgrade both Ant and
Xalan.    Could this impact us as early as Struts 1.1, or can we just
continue to use Ant 1.2 and Xalan-Java 1.x forever ??

Just asking.