I would like to add some additional Unit tests to the struts
framework.
  These would be tests for struts itself, not end user code.
  My thoughts are that as struts evolves and new functionality
  is added we want to verify that other functionality is not
  broken, as code is changed and refactored.

  I am proposing using JUnit 3.5 (http://junit.sourceforge.net/) and
  J2EEUnit (J2eeunit.sourceforge.org). I am going to force
  myself to do this in an upcoming project at work, and believe it
  makes sense to do it in struts also.

  I am targeting the 1.1 release time period. If Unit
  testing is approved, some small set of tests may make it into
  the struts 1.0 release, again assuming people here vote for its
  inclusion.

  My initial thoughts for providing testing is to start with the
  private methods of struts starting with the
       struts.action package,
  then later develop tests for the public methods of struts.action.
  I didn't want to start another package until I finished the majority
  of the private methods, only because I would need to debug
  my unit tests, and only by developing tests for some of the private
  methods the public could I do this.

  Then other packages would follow :
    struts.upload,
    struts.util,
    struts.digester,
    struts.actions,
    struts.taglib.X

  In about that order, only because that would be a usefull order for me
  in the project I am working on. Infact, I only have plans to do
struts.upload, and
  struts.util, and doubt I would have the time to produce tests for the
other packages.

  Thoughts ?

-Rob