Frye, Dave wrote:

> I like the use of your check to examine the previous path, however, it must
> be used in combination with a command token to ensure that user has not gone
> back to an old page that happens to match the current path.  Your check will
> certainly catch the case where they hit the back button once and re-submits,
> since their current path would be virtually guaranteed to be different than
> that needed for the previous submit.  But say user goes to through pages A,
> B, C and back to A again.  Now, the user backs up 3 pages to the previous A
> screen and submits again.  It may not be likely to occur, but couldn't this
> scenario pass the previous path check?  I think you still need to use a
> token if you cannot prevent cached pages.

Well, I think the basic question is: What do I want to achieve with my little
extension? I wanted to prevent the user from doing a few things which we had to
cope with in any web project we did up to now:

1. Don't let the user push the reload button which could lead to a duplicate
database entry (if we are speaking of an application where a user generates some
type of database content).

2. Being easily able to build a chain of web pages which have to be executed
directly after each other, e. g. A->B->C, where A is the action to display a
form where the user can input some comment (e. g. for a discussion board), B is
the preview for his new comment, and C is the message which says that his
comment was successfully entered to the board. Using the extension allows me to
prevent the user from executing action B without having executed action A
directly before, i. e. I can rely on some facts like: the right values have
already been stored in the session, i. e. I am in the right session state, and
so on.

3. Being able to easily chain single actions on the server A->B->C, where A gets
the client request, does a server side forward to B which finally forwards to C
which sends the response to the client. The examination of the previous path
easily allows to prevent the user from directly executing Action B or C by
typing in their URL.

But I agree there may be cases when you want to enhance the checks with a token.
My idea how this could be accomplished is this:
- Create a unique token automatically in each action.
- Automatically include it in any request that might come from the next page
(per URL-Rewriting in struts-html.link tag or in forms with the struts-html.form
tag)
- and check it in the next action.

But this definitely would need to be included directly in struts, because you
have to modify the link and form tags, while my current extension can easily be
used as an add on.

> While it is convient to implement security and logging in your GenericAction
> class, it potentially leads to an unruly hierarchy of Action super classes
> that deal with the request dispatching process.  I belive that the
> Dispatcher is the place to handle all aspects of dispatching application
> level requests.  Ideally, the Dispatcher would provide a pluggable Chain of
> Responsibility-like pattern that allows for configurable security, loggin,
> etc. without impacting the Actions.  Tomcat has different such a patterns
> handling http requests.  Struts could implement one that works at the
> application level to provide security, logging and potentially other uses.

The only reason I subclassed the struts Action class was to avoid patching
struts severely. There would be no need for the GenericAction class, if the code
enhancements were direcly done to the Action class.

> didge

--- Matthias