On 7/26/01 7:20 PM, "David Winterfeldt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just saw that Turbine generates code/sql with a
> project called Torque (subproject of Turbine).  Is
> anyone familiar with it to give it a better run down
> than the how to on it.  I'm still not sure what type
> of code it generates (primary key class?).  It sounds
> like it doesn't generate JDBC and uses xml info to
> generate SQL on the fly.  I'm not sure if that is
> right, but that is the impression I got.

That is correct. Torque has just been split out from Turbine
and, though lacking extensive documentation, is functional
in a stand-alone mode, as is Fulcrum the service framework.

Torque is in part based on the work of Scott Ambler, and
I would like to move it more toward Scott Ambler's work
and go further and make Torque a JDO implementation. In
short I would like Torque to become a transparent persistence
layer. Define your object hierarchy, have torque generate
everything you need to persist your objects, and use OQL
to retrieve a set of objects.

Fulcrum is also a stand-alone project now and might save
you some time as I see from commits that you guys are
working on one too. I'm hoping that Fulcrum will also be
compliant with the service framework JSR and I would like
JMX enable Fulcrum shortly too. The repositories are

jakarta-turbine-torque
jakarta-turbine-fulcrum

Both repository are laid out in an odd fashion because I just recently
separated them from Turbine so they still have turbine package names
because I didn't want to break everyone's code.

There is only one thing in Torque left to do and than I think Torque
would integrate well with Struts: the connection pool needs to be
pluggable. I have decoupled everything else but the connection pool
still used is the one that is included with Torque which won't
work for Struts users or any other users that have their own
connection pooling already.

Maybe we can work together on Torque and/or Fulcrum to provide
persistence and services? I know everyone needs persistence and
I have decouple almost every service in Fulcrum from Turbine so
they are now useful outside the context of Turbine. Some services
of interest may be:

BSFService:
Bean Scripting Framework service

CacheService:
I am talking to the author of jpolycache (jpolycache.sourceforge.net)
and looking at the commons cache code to replace what is currently there.

MimeTypeService

SchedulerService

UploadService:
I know you guys have some code this.

SecurityService:
Role/Permission based security service

TemplatingService/VelocityService:
You use JSP but these services are still very useful
for things like templated email messages or any sort
of generative task.

XmlRpcService:
Now based on the newly created XmlRpc code at xml.apache.org
from code donated by Hannes Wallnoefer. It also now supports
SSL.

XSLTService:
A very simple transformation engine.

I know our two groups have traditionally not work much together,
but maybe we can change that. There is also the Turbine Developer's Kit
(TDK) which could probably be adapted for new struts users.

The torque and fulcrum repositories are there if anyone is interested.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org