Folks,

I have a new version of JPath that is ready to be
checked in the Jakarta repository.

This version has the following major improvements:

1. It features its own parser/compiler/interpreter.
They are tailored to the needs of Java object graph
traversal anf therefore outperform the original
version across the board.

2. It supports so called Pointers. A Pointer is an
object that represents a location in an object graph.
For example, you can call

Pointer ptr =
jpathCtx.locateValue("employees[$i]/addresses[$j]")

Let's say i = 1 and j = 3.  If we call ptr.asPath(),
it returns an XPath that describes this concrete
location: "/employees[1]/addresses[3]".  These
concrete paths have a good potential as names of HTML
form elements.  In fact, they could help us solve the
issue with Struts iterator.

3. It supports extension functions.  You can register
arbitrary Java classes/packages as libraries of
extension functions.  You can also call methods and
create objects with just the built-in extension
functions.

I have not checked it in yet and here's why:

1. Maybe its time to promote it from the sandbox to
commons proper.

2. The other reason is a little more important.  Scott
Hasse of the Isthmus Group has implemented a language
called JPath.  That language is a part of JSPTL and is
not the same as our JPath, and while it is ok to have
two programmers called John on the same project, it is
not ok to have to subprojects called JPath.
Therefore, I suggest we quickly rename it to something
else. How about its original name JXPath?

- Dmitri Plotnikov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]