Can we let it ride for a week, to see what else comes up?

I appreciate input from the developers, but we might want to also see
what the other committers have to say.

I also just thought of another one:  "output" - since that is what we
are really doing, outputting something into the body of tag.

I do agree with Craig, that compliance has to be the "Prime Directive".

If that sometimes means making things more difficult for people who
choose to use Struts, because other products choose to be non-compliant,
then so be it.

I also agree that the framework should encourage proper use, and I do
support a number of other design choices we've made in the place, which
are not always popular with developers.

Like Craig (I imagine), I would instantly veto something like a wrap tag
for textarea being part of a tag, since that is a vendor-supplied
extension, and not part of the W3C specification.

This has always seemed like a likely compromise to me, and I've
mentioned doing it several times myself. Though, the argument that there
should be no non-standard attributes, carries some weight with me, since
that is why we have this problem in the first place. People ran around
doing whatever they pleased, standards be dammed.

The other question I would ask, is how does this fit in with JSPTL? I
don't think any of want to continue supporting tags that overlap with
those. If we allow a literal attribute in all of our tags now, is that
going trip people up later when we migrate. Might the Jakarta Input
taglib's people have any thoughts on this? Eventually, we might want to
hook up, and fill in the JSPTL gaps with a single set of Jakarta
extensions.

But now that we've let the genie out of the bottle, lets hang back and
see what other people have to say.

-Ted.

Oleg V Alexeev wrote:

> Hello Ted,
>
> So, votes for naming of free style attribute for html tags -
>
>  literal - 2
>  freetext - 1.5 (already extst)
>  custom - 1
>
> Any other votes or variants? If nothing then it will became 'literal'.
>
> Monday, December 10, 2001, 2:02:01 PM, you wrote:
>
> TH> Is freetext all right with everyone, or should we use something like
>
> TH> literal
>
> TH> custom
>
> TH> or
>
> TH> verbatim
>
> TH> It's just that I feel we have not paid close enough attention to the
> TH> naming of things in the past, and we might want "measure twice" before
> TH> we document this.
>
> TH> -- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY USA.
> TH> -- Custom Software ~ Technical Services.
> TH> -- Tel +1 716 737-3463
> TH> -- http://www.husted.com/struts/
>
> TH> --
> TH> For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Oleg                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/