A product change, like adding the freetext attribute, is subject to lazy
consensus. You have the right to make the change, and any other
committer has the right to veto it.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

People often announce a short-term plans, not so much because we have
to, but because we are fishing for vetos.

The committers own the codebase jointly and severally. If any of us do
not want to support non-standard attributes, then we cannot support
non-standard attributes.

This is how Jakarta keeps its product standards high. There are no
compromises. We must all agree, or at least not disagree, or it doesn't
happen.

This way, one person cannot come along, add some difficult features and
then walk away, leaving the rest of us holding the bag. We all have the
opportunity to veto a change. If we don't exercize our veto, then we are
agreeing to support that change in the future. This helps keep the
voting lags to a minimum. You don't have to call for a vote, but
everything we do is subject to a vote, and the approval of every other
committer.

Martin's veto includes a number of reasonable justifications; it is
valid, and so the changes should be rolled back.

At least we have hashed this out, and can refer to this thread in the
future, or bring it up in the FAQ (along with why ActionForms are not a
*@#$!&% interface ;-)

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/