One implementation issue is what to call the thing in the request
context.

I have this set to be configurable from the web.xml. For lack of a
better idea, I'm calling the parameter "shared" -- the idea it being our
shared resources.

For a default, I started with the usual,

Action.CONTEXT_KEY = "org.apache.stuts.action.ACTION_CONTEXT"

but would expect most people would change that for use in a template ;-)

In our Velocity testing, I was calling it "get" since that looked pretty
cool:

<title>$get.message("index.title")</title>

and

So, in my working example, we have

    <init-param>
      <param-name>shared</param-name>