Comments interspersed below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Morten M. Christensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 7:06 AM
Subject: Re: Well-formed HTML support in struts 1.01+ !!

> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Morten M. Christensen wrote:
>
> >>Our situation is that we now need to output well-formed HTML (we will
> >>probably use XHTML), in order to do easy post processing in XSL/Java for
> >>various nice things like automated GUI testing (all extremely important
> >>and requires well-formed HTML / XHTML).
> >
> > All of the Struts tags in 1.0 generate well-formed HTML tags, in
> > accordance with the W3C HTML Specification.
>

> Unless you stick to a surprisingly forgiving definition of well-formed,
> this is not correct! I would recommend not to change or relax
> the definition of "well-formed" in order to cover up a problem (I even
> saw somebody on the net call this thing a design-flaw of struts).

I think you're confusing what "well-formed" means for HTML with what it
means for XML/XHTML. Well-formed HTML is *not* XML-compliant; it is
compliant with the HTML specification, as Craig stated. If what you want is
XML-compliant HTML, then you need XHTML. In fact, that's why the XHTML
standard was created.

> > For XHTML, some recent work has been done in the HEAD branch (and
> > therefore available through the nightly builds) to give you the option
> > create well-formed XHTML instead.  Simply do the following:

> > and the rendered tags will all be compatible with XML syntax, as XHTML
> > requires.
>

> Sounds good (but I have only tried the official release so far and I am
> a little worried about using a nightly build - should I be ?).

Not really. There are many, many developers who use the nightly builds
because they contain desirable, but not yet released, functionality. You can
check the bug database to see if there are any problems that would be
showstoppers to you. The bug database is at:

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

However, I want to point out that the XHTML update for Struts has not yet
been committed to source control. Matt Raible has submitted the necessary
changes (thanks, Matt!), but also pointed out a potential problem. I hope to
have some time to address this in the next week or so.

> And sorry for asking, but I am not totally familiar with your
> process/plans.... What does this mean exactly regarding:
>
> 1) Official struts support for XHTML ?
> 2) Degree of support for XHTML - identical in scope/quality/performance
> as old html?
>
> Does it mean that the users can safely use xhtml because it will be a
> natural part of struts v1.01 and will remain so in future released
> versions as well ?

Struts 1.1 will provide support for XHTML to the same degree that Struts 1.0
supports HTML. Yes, it will be a natural part of Struts (but 1.1 rather than
1.0.1), and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Any tags which
generate XHTML output should also support all valid attributes for the
corresponding XHTML element.

--
Martin Cooper

> Thanks for you answer!