From: Jon Ferguson +AFs-mailto:ferguson+AEA-ieee.org+AF0-
Sent: Thursday, 10 January 2002 7:22 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Building Form Beans from XML Schema?

Arron,

I agree with the analysis.  There are of course other tools that do similar
things
(including the Digester) but I've seen no others that do all three
(XML/Schema/SQL)
at  least opensource.  It seems like a natural way to proceed in order to
automate
some of this stuff.  When I noticed that you could get Castor to generate
beans with
the validate method I thought the author probably had Struts in mind..  If I
get a
chance, I'll look into it further.

Thanks,
Jon

Arron Bates wrote:

+AD4- Jon,
+AD4-
+AD4- I'm quite certain the parser has the ability, it just doesn't do it.
+AD4- It's the generation of the Java code which is stopping it. I would think
+AD4- you could hack it, so when an object's setter is called automatically
+AD4- call it's validate() method (which the system creates both, so all you'd
+AD4- have to hack is when and where) for each object continuing to set all
+AD4- data (it carries invalid data quite happily, only complains when you ask
+AD4- it to marshal the document out or validate it) and remember all the
+AD4- validation errors which were thrown and just pop them into the pile for
+AD4- Struts. Could be groovy... but it's not an out-of-the-box ability.
+AD4-
+AD4- I've only had the chance to use the schema side of the matter. We use it
+AD4- to create the XML documents against the schema, when we have to do
+AD4- something which requires XML. I don't think my current client is a
+AD4- particular fan of XML per-se.
+AD4-
+AD4- Arron.
+AD4-
+AD4- Jon Ferguson wrote:
+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-Arron,
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-Thanks for the hands-on.  Shame really.. surely the parser provides this
data..
+AD4- +AD4-wonder if there's another way to 'compile' that information into a
method.
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-BTW, have you used Castor's Object-Relational mapping?  The second half
of the
+AD4- +AD4-equation would be to use that to persist the populated beans from within
the
+AD4- +AD4-Action.
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-Cheers,
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-Jon
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-Arron Bates wrote:
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4APg-I've tried to do this with Castor generated objects. Problem is though,
+AD4- +AD4APg-is that the errors are not fine grained at all.
+AD4- +AD4APg-You validate the document by calling the validate() method on the top
+AD4- +AD4APg-node, and you get a yes or a no.
+AD4- +AD4APg-You can do this for all of the sub objects, but it's just that, you
+AD4- +AD4APg-still have to implement the field validation yourself.
+AD4- +AD4APg-
+AD4- +AD4APg-Naturally you can't play any tricks with the calling of property methods
+AD4- +AD4APg-to work around various issues as your objects are locked down to the
+AD4- +AD4APg-automation process.
+AD4- +AD4APg-
+AD4- +AD4APg-Otherwise it's quite excellent.
+AD4- +AD4APg-
+AD4- +AD4APg-Arron.
+AD4- +AD4APg-
+AD4- +AD4APg-Jon Ferguson wrote:
+AD4- +AD4APg-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-( Republished under appropriate Subject :-( ).
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Hey,
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-I've been toying with the idea of Modelling my form beans using XML
Schema,
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-then generating the actual beans using some XML binding tool like
Castor (which
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-should also generate my validate function).  I should also be able to
use
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Castor to do RDBMS mapping as well.. (but from a session bean
manipulating the
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-formbeans for example).
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-I'm thinking of utilising schema from developments such as RosettaNet,
BizTalk
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Frameworks and ebXML - noting that often the info entered into forms
could be
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-the same message information that might be passed between businesses.
(Eg. a
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Purchase Order, etc.).
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-I'm hoping that the result would: a) help to standardize the business
app. b)
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-leave it wide open for making use of b-2-b developments such as
webServices and
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-the above efforts. c) provide automatic form validation (inherent in
the
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Schema), d) obviate the  hand-coading of formbeans.
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Any comments on this approach?  Has anyone tried this?
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Cheers,
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-Jon
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4-
+AD4APgA+-------------------------------------------------------------------------
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+---
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-To unsubscribe, e-mail:
+ADw-mailto:struts-dev-unsubscribe+AEA-jakarta.apache.org+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-For additional commands, e-mail:
+ADw-mailto:struts-dev-help+AEA-jakarta.apache.org+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4APgA+-
+AD4- +AD4APg---
+AD4- +AD4APg-To unsubscribe, e-mail:
+ADw-mailto:struts-dev-unsubscribe+AEA-jakarta.apache.org+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4APg-For additional commands, e-mail:
+ADw-mailto:struts-dev-help+AEA-jakarta.apache.org+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4APg-
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-------------------------------------------------------------------------
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4---
+AD4- +AD4-To unsubscribe, e-mail:
+ADw-mailto:struts-dev-unsubscribe+AEA-jakarta.apache.org+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-For additional commands, e-mail:
+ADw-mailto:struts-dev-help+AEA-jakarta.apache.org+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4- Part 1.2
+AD4- +AD4-
+AD4- +AD4- Content-Type: