On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Arron Bates wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:54:42 +1100
> From: Arron Bates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Pre Nested Extension Commit...
>
> First of all, thanks for the votes peoples.
>
> Need to confirm something and ask opinions on another before I scuttle
> the codebase...
> (need three +1's or 0's, or some -1's with explanations if you please) ...
>
> 1) The nested system is going into the main source tree (not contrib)?...

I'm not quite ready for that yet ... how about in contrib first?

> 2) The TLD. The nested tags extend the other tags, so this basically
> means a duplication of their library definition.
> To date I've just placed all the tags in the one TLD from the others.
> Any overwhelming opinions to separate the descriptor into the separate
> parts as the original library (means we would end up with "nest-html",
> "nest-logic" or whatever).
> Keep it as one?...

If the new versions of the tags are exactly identical except for the name,
it might be feasible to tweak the XSLT stylesheet that creates TLDs and
make them both at once.  At a minimum, you might be able to use the same
input file with a different stylesheet.

> 3) The new TLD's docco... To make sure that the new TLD is as current as
> it can be, I'll create it again rather than just use my current one. In
> the other TLD's xml files there's a fair amount of docco. My intention
> here is that any tag which is an extension of an original, I will remove
> the docco with an exception of a line to say that "this is an extension
> of [orig tag] tag of [orig tld].tld file". Those tags which are new for
> the extension will have fresh docco. That way it'll keep the size of the
> TLD down (if question two is +1), and save duplication of the docco and
> it's maintenance.
> Refer docco for original tags?

Remember that all the struts-*.tld files are *generated* -- they are not
maintained in source separately.  The same XML file that is the source of
these is also used to produce the reference docco about the libraries.