I am working in that direction : eliminating the servlet for Tiles with Struts1.1,
and
have a request processor doing the job.

  Tiles require a special RequestProcessor and an initialization in a plugin. To avoid
extra declaration in struts-config file, I would like to let the plugin set the
RequestProcessor class. This is actually not possible because configurations are frozen
before plugins are called. I propose to froze configurations after plugins
initialization. This will let a chance to plugin to set some configurations parameters.
  Is there some objections ? If not, I will do the required modification, and provide
requested plugin.

  What are you goals about the Tiles documentation, example, jar and war ? Do you thing
to separate them from main struts one as today, integrate them more deeply or remove
them
?
  If I know where we want to go I can help doing it ;-)

    Cedric