On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Struts-dev Newsgroup wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:25:01 -0700
> From: Struts-dev Newsgroup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Status of Struts-EL contrib project
>
> Subject: Re: Status of Struts-EL contrib project
> From: "Vic C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  ===
> It appears that only HTML tag would need "conversion". ?
>
> I would think that logic and bean tag would be deprecated over time
> since there is JSTL equivalents as Craig mentioned before, if I recall.

That kind of deprecation wwould happen in some future rev of Struts.  For
1.1, we still require only Servlet 2.2 / JSP 1.1 as prerequisites, and the
library that David is working won't be added to the core of 1.1, since
JSTL requires Servlet 2.3 / JSP 1.2.

I suspect the same sort of thing will happen (ultimate deprecation but
continued support) for most of the html tag library, once JavaServer Faces
becomes available.

> Also, I have posted an example on sourceforge (basicPortal) of an JSTL
> for each tag with struts HTML for multi row update(it has a minor bug
> now - approve content page), should that be of use. I will continue to
> write "realistic" sample of using Struts with JSTL so should you need
> "web app sample" I will be incorporating what ever you post ASAP.
> Where would you post it?

Better multi-row support in general, and master-detail in particular, are
two areas on my wish list for direct support by Struts in a post-1.1
release.  Whether we end up building them on top of JSTL and Faces tags,
or implement them separately, will be an interesting design decision.

In the mean time, having realistic examples is very useful for people who
need this kind of thing now instead of later, as well as to validate the
functional requirements.

> Vic

Craig