"offered only for reported bugs that don't already have a patch submitted."

OK.
Also I meant new fixes to the current bugs, not any new ones.

It was meant to help people focus. I have no way of helping existing contributors without being even more cheesy.
And majority of people are doing it for many other reasons. There were posts prior of people asking other people to step up and support Struts, so I did.

.V

David Derry wrote:
Vic, this is a very generous offer, and I'm sure most appreciated. I'm
curious tho' how you came up with the figure of $135. When I want to come up
with a round figure I think of $100 or $150, maybe $125. I'm curious how you
arrived at the odd figure of $135.

That aside, I posted bug #13030 against Validaor. But at the time that I
posted it, I also posted a patch. I noticed this problem because when I got
into work that morning and started my app, Validator failed because the
Jakarta site was down. But stuts was able to initialize. I recalled seeing
postings on the users list that struts was able to use the DTDs in the jar
file. So I took the opportunity to determine how struts was able to do this
when Validator didn't. The patch that I submitted was very simple, and was
actually little more than a cut and paste from the struts initialization
code. Although, as I said, I appreciate and respect your offer, I would feel
...... oh I don't know..............cheesy if I were to accept your offer.
There are any number of folks who have worked hard, and long hours I'm sure,
to make struts a success who deserve much more. The little that I have
contributed has already paid me back more than I have actually contributed,
merely from the knowledge that I gained making this patch. Also, it made me
feel REALLY GOOD to be able to contribute that little bit.

Another thing, and again I am not criticizing, your offer is extremely
generous; but in this case at least a patch was submitted at the time that
the bug was reported. Your reward, I feel, would be more effective if it was
offered only for reported bugs that don't already have a patch submitted.
That would provide insentive for someone to fix the problem. There really
isn't much insentive in the case where a patch has already been submitted.

So I would like to thank you for your offer, but it just doesn't seem right
to me that someome (like myself) could fix one little bug and get paid for
it when others have devoted so much time and effort for nothing more than th
e satifaction that they get, and the thanks of those whose jobs they have
made easier. I personally have benefited far more than I have contributed.
And I have learned a great deal from lurking on the mailing lists. That is
more than payment enough for me. I just wish that I was able to contribute
more.

I want to express my thanks, as well as my respect and admiration, for every
one who has worked so hard; who have sacrificed so much time and effort, to
make struts the great product that it is. I have learned a great deal from
you guys.

Dave Derry