Hi,

A Dimecres 13 Novembre 2002 20:45, Martin Cooper va escriure:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:
>
> <big-snip/>
>
> > If the outermost document is meant to enforce XHTML, how can an included
> > piece *not* conform to XHTML and the entire document still be XHTML?  I
> > ... feel like we're attempting to over-design - but maybe I'm just
> > showing my own ignorance (which is something I don't think I'll ever
> > learn not to do - I learn way too much from being willing to do it).
>
> It can't, and that's in part what Craig pointed out. Since each included
> page must also be XHTML, each of those pages should state explicitly that
> it is XHTML, instead of having the decision about whether or not to
> generate XHTML be made externally (i.e. on the topmost page). Given that
> the non-Struts tags on the page must also be explicitly XHTML, that makes
> sense.

The document doctype (xhtml1, html401) is global, like the character encoding
or some response headers. There is no sense in changing the doctype flag in
included pages.

If you develop a page to be included and you use tags other than struts-html,
like <br> or <br /> there is no way to reuse this page in both xhtml and
html, with or without <html:isXhtml/>, <html:html xhtml="true">, etc ....
but if a developer is able to create a  page to be included that only uses
struts-html and/or other custom tags, with the <html:isXhtml/> aproach she
will not be able to reuse its page to generate xhtml or html!!!!

Salut!

-- Antoni Reus