On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:

> I can live with vi if it's forced upon me, but I much prefer Emacs.
>  'Course nowadays, assuming you're using an x terminal (or are on
> windows) both of them are fairly easily used through their toolbars ...
> at least, I think vim has one now (or can perhaps - nearly certain).  I
> suppose that's for the "mortals" among us ;-O  I just go for the "arcane
> key sequences" personally - so much more efficient.

Not so good on the wrists, though. A guy I work with just switched from
emacs to vi, after many years as a happy emacs user, because of acute
tendonitis from all those C-/M-/... key sequences.

Me, I'm beginning to like pico now that I'm using pine for mail. It has
those nice keystroke explanations at the bottom to help me learn it. ;-)

> One nifty thing I
> really like about Emacs is that, sometimes I can remember the command
> name but not it's key sequence - and it tells you what the sequence is
> once you invoke it the "long" way.  So, I can keep important shortcuts
> in my head, and, when I run across a situation that requires me to use
> something that I don't recall the shortcut for, I can invoke it manually
> and get a referesher on what the sequence is to invoke it.  I really
> like that feature :-)  It works great so long as you can remember the
> "command name" or ... at least have an idea (as it has completion
> assistance for commands too).

What happens if you forget the key sequence to invoke a command by name?
:-)

Remembering all those funky key sequences (or rather, failing to remember
them!) is the main reason I've never got into emacs. It always seems so
daunting, and I've never managed to persevere long enough to be dangerous
with it.

--
Martin Cooper