David Graham wrote:
With all due respect Cedric, that code did not follow the java standard coding guidelines so it was a candidate for reformatting. Under the Jakarta rules code must meet those guidelines unless specified differently for the project. AFAIK Struts has no specific rules so it defaults to the java standard.

Following the java standard helps all developers work on the project faster and easier.

Dave

Dave/Martin/Cedric what I have seen is reformatting above and beyond the

2 Points:

1)

   http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html

   Which is pretty sparse.
   Changes I have seen, and I am referring to not
   only struts but, in other projects :
   1) aligning function parameters one per line,
   2) method ()' - space before the method calls, against Sun's style.
   3) Renaming a variable name that actually is less clear.

The above changes I see as gratitious, and serve no purpose.
Further they make tracking bugs introduced by applied patches
hard to track down.
We are not using Maven yet, and I welcome a standard style.
But I am --against-- reformatting code during 1.1, just for fun !
After we cut 1.1 final we can reformat every single line of code,
and I would be fine with that, just not now. I and other comitters are
under great pressure from our paying jobs, but still want to contribute
fixes to the code base. Having to untangle/decode that is reformatted
just adds to stress and hard feelings right now.

2)

Again seperate from a beta/code freeze I would like for us to agree
to avoid reformatting code just for no reason !

-Rob