It's true that since the Struts product does not define its own
code standards, we default to the Sun conventions, as given by the
Jakarta guidelines.

Personally, I augment these with the Java Elements of Style,
which, in practice, act like a superset of the Sun conventions.

As a practical matter, we do have to balance "Observe the style of
the original" with our responsibility to maintain a code base for
the benefit of others (rather than ourselves).

Technically, we should veto submissions that do not follow the Sun
coding conventions, but we've been lax about that in the past.

I would simply suggest that we continue to follow the practice of
submitting code changes and style changes separately. If someoone
has a stylistic scratch to itch, they should scratch it. (But it
would be polite to find a bug itch to scratch first =:)

Incidentally, the tab thing is because we email the deltas and
sending tabs by email is problematic =:(

-Ted.

12/16/2002 6:44:07 PM, David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>A couple of things:
>1.  Tabs were addressed as an issue but the jakarta guidelines
state that
>tabs are not to be used in the first place.  This drives me crazy
but I
>follow it nonetheless.
>2.  I agree with closing one line blocks but this isn't in any
standard.
>I've seen a lot of Struts code that will follow an unclosed one
line block
>with more code which makes it very confusing.  This is fair game
for
>changing in my book.
>3.  I disagree that we should stop formatting code.  We have a
standard that
>we should be following.  If we need to change that standard then
we can
>debate that.
>
>Dave
>

>>From: Erik Hatcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: Re: Avoid code reformating !
>>Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:25:55 -0500
>>
>>As for seeing a class structure, this is what IDE's like Eclipse
and IDEA
>>make a moot point.  I think if code doesn't follow the Jakarta
(or
>>project-specific) conventions then its fair game for
reformatting.  This is
>>communal code and no one person owns it, this is why conventions
exist and
>>we must adhere to them for the sake of the "community".  Please.
>>
>>But, while we are talking about coding conventions, at least
please adopt
>>closing if/for/while/etc blocks with curly brackets for one-line
blocks.
>>The Struts codebase is littered with non-curly-bracketed one-
line blocks
>>and that in and of itself drives me nuts when I'm trying to
follow the
>>code.  :))
>>
>>      Erik
>>

>>Cedric Dumoulin wrote:
>>>
>>>  I said that I don't want to debate on this. I know the
reformated code
>>>doesn't follow the recomanded Jakarta rules code standard. But
another
>>>rule is to respect any other well formated standard ;-).
>>>  For me, the reformated code is really unreadable: I can't
detect the
>>>classes and methods structures at a glance, and so it requires
me some
>>>times to try to figure it out. I thing it is a waste of time
>>>
>>>     Cedric
>>

>>--
>><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:struts-dev-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>