Can this be a property of the form itself?

Edgar

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Moseley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 1:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: modifying the mapping input path during validation

any comments on the problem i've outlined below?

i realize that it's not clean to give a form bean any amount of control
logic (which is what i want to do by allowing it to manipulate the input

path). i'd prefer to avoid this if possible.

one thought is that RequestProcessor.process could offer a "post
validation" hook that would allow the input path to be specified by an
application component. but which component? neither actions or forms
make sense here.

another thought: form definitions in struts-config optionally specify
sprintf-like format strings which are used by the
mapping/forward/whatever to dynamically generate paths.

once again, the requirement i have to live with is that my form's input
page requires a particular request parameter to be set. it's just a form

for modifying the attributes of a model object, and the request
parameter is simply the object's unique id.

this is clearly a common design pattern; how do other people solve the
problem of providing a needed request parameter to an action form's
input after a failed validation?