I think the underlying issue was that the DBCP is used to implement the GenericDataSource, which was not deprecated in the last release.

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/doc-1.0.2/api/org/apache/struts/util/GenericDataSource.html

I suppose we could fall back to the original implementation, but that was not as good as the DBCP and seems like a drastic change.

We might consider making the type required now and deprecating GDS in this release, to leave our options open.

At this point, I think the DataSource manager has become a rather neat tool and could even standalone as a way to manage connections to various datasources. But now that there is a DBCP in the Commons, we can prepare to let people acquire that themselves. But for now, it seems like we're stuck :(

-T.

David Graham wrote:
Actually, my original thought was to get rid of DBCP because it's a problem child dependency and not everyone needs it. We could leave the <data-sources> element because it's useful to those who need it but they would have to provide the implementation class (change the "type" attribute to required).

But we could just leave everything how it is and only use released versions of DBCP after they get the next release of it out.

Dave

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:38:01 -0700
> From: David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Close to RC2?
>
> >The commons-pool dependency is indeed inherited from commons-dbcp. We
> >can't actually remove GenericDataSource (in 1.1), because it wasn't
> >deprecated in 1.0 -- we'll be able to clean that up next time around if we
> >want (but we should warn people in the struts-config DTD that the whole
> ><data-sources> element will go away, if that's really what we want to do).
> >

> Why would the data-sources element have to go away just because
> GenericDataSource is removed?

What would we use instead to implement the data sources? The
original question (as I understood it) was how to get rid of commons-pool,
which would also require getting rid of commons-dbcp and therefore
eliminating the org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource implementation
class.

> >Craig
>
> David

Ted Husted,