Arron Bates wrote:
Somehow in all this I get the nagging feeling that Struts now has an agenda
which it's never had before. It was just cutting quality software, hang the
time it took.

Struts is a product of the Apache Software Foundation and follows the ASF agenda. The ASF exists to build *communities* around software packages. One way to build and retain communities is to only ship software of the highest calibre. But high-quality software is not the goal, but a *means* of achieving our goal.

At this point, the best way to continue to build and serve the Struts community is to ship another release candidate. It would be better to ship with a final release of the FileUpload package. But, given that JavaOne is upon us, if we don't cut a RC this weekend, it will be the end of June before we have a chance to cut another.

I'm sure everyone agrees that our appoach to choosing release events has not been serving our community well. What will serve the community best now is to make steady progress toward the final release of Struts 1.1.

Once that happens, we can learn from our mistakes and cut a release whenever we add a feature that people can put to good use (instead of after we have added a large set of new features).