There are currently seven different webapps within the Struts distribution
that users are referred to for examples of Struts usage:

 - struts-blank
 - struts-example
 - struts-excercise-taglib
 - struts-template (not so much)
 - tiles-documentation
 - struts-upload
 - struts-validator

Not to mention the examples hosted at Sourceforge.

Judging by the repetitive nature of certain questions on the user list there
is a problem with finding/understanding the examples and/or
finding/understanding the documentation.

I have observed that requests for examples tend to fall into two distinct
categories:
 1. examples demonstrating usage of a particular tag or feature
 2. examples of best practice in using the Struts framework

I would like to see the existing examples consolidated to just two
applications, each targeted at one of the categories just mentioned.

The first example application would provide many discrete examples, each
demonstrating the use of just one feature of struts. This application should
be easy to understand for a new Struts user, should be simple to deploy
(drop-in war deployment with no configuration required) and should become
*the* point of reference for the Struts documentation and mailing lists. It
could also be used a library of cut-and-paste code. Based on the Tomcat
examples, I have created what could be the basis for this app
(http://www.ninsky.com/struts).

In the interests of ease of understanding, the first application would not
necessarily exhibit best practice all the time. For instance, in the
examples I put together I have made no effort to protect JSPs with a
security constraint or by placing them under WEB-INF. I felt this was not
necessary to demonstrate the tags in use and might confuse novice users. I
don't necessarily think this app should use modules as this could again
confuse new users. I'm prepared to be convinced on that, Ted :-)

The second application should demonstrate current best practice in the
context of a working, realistic application. The purpose of this app would
not be to tutor novice users but to show how Struts features can be used
together to create real-world applications. Struts Pet Store springs to mind
as a possible example.

Struts-blank would continue as the basic starter application template.

I would hope that consolidating the examples and effectively publicizing
them would help reduce the support burden (call me a dreamer!) and enable
users to become more productive with Struts more quickly.

Steve