From: adam kramer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 2:10 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Problems with exercise-taglib, link tag, or modules?

On Wed, 22 Jul 2003, David M. Karr wrote:
> I've been working on some minor updates to Struts-EL, to match recent
> changes to the base tag library, so I've been running through some
> tests.  I'm using WebLogic 8.1 for these tests.
>
> I first noticed that the strutsel-exercise-taglib application dies
> with the following stack trace:
>
> -----------------
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.pageURL(RequestUtils.java:1591)
>         at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:536)
>         at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.computeURL(RequestUtils.java:431)
>         at
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.LinkTag.calculateURL(LinkTag.java:495)
>         at
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.LinkTag.doStartTag(LinkTag.java:353)
>         at

org.apache.strutsel.taglib.html.ELLinkTag.doStartTag(ELLinkTag.java:675)
> -----------------
>
> Line 1591 is the following (after I added a couple of debugging
> lines):
>
>         String pagePattern =
> moduleConfig.getControllerConfig().getPagePattern();
>
> I found that "moduleConfig" is null here, but I don't know why.

 Actually, I noticed computeURL has a backward compatibility hack that
gets the default app module config and stores it in the request scope if
one isn't already there. If you do have a recent version of struts
built, perhaps the webapp has an older version of struts installed.
Maybe replacing it with a fresh struts.jar would work.  It looks as
though this should not be happening. It doesn't happen when requesting
html-link.jsp in struts exercise-taglib webapp, but i havent installed
struts-el.

-adam k.