> ------- Additional Comments From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  2003-07-23
> 16:28 -------
> Frankly, I think requiring this goes too far.  Suggesting best
> practices for
> real applications is one thing, but generating unexpected
> exceptions for simple
> example applications makes this harder to use.
>
> Note that I have no problem requiring use of the controller in
> order for modules
> to work.  Most applications don't use modules, including the exercise
> application, which now doesn't work.

I entirely agree this comment. Directly accessing JSPs has been permitted up
until 1.1 and most of the included webapps work this way. I think if we are
going to require that *all* requests go through the controller that's a
bigger functional change than a 1.1 - 1.2 upgrade should contain.

I don't see that it should be necessary to require that restriction for
modules to work properly. Any directly accessed JSP would be assumed to be
part of the default module and the message resources obtained accordingly.
If  you try to access a JSP directly *and* expect it to work as part of a
module *then* you deserve all that's coming to you ;-)

I don't claim to have any great knowledge of the internal workings of
modules (yet) which is why I was tentative in posting a patch rather than
committing a fix because I thought there might be a better way to solve the
problem. I will to investigate further to see if that's the case.

In the meantime, I will commit the patch later today and, yes, we should be
looking at updating the webapps :-0

Steve