From: Ted Husted [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 11:58 AM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Workflow for Struts

The thing I keep coming back to is whether workflows are a Struts
problem. I would agree that multipage form *wizards* that collect input
are definitely a Struts problem. But, I can't but help wonder whether
more advanced types of workflows would be better defined as part of a
business application controller -- rather than a presentation front
controller, like Struts. (Or, presentation service-to-worker controller,
if you are a J2EE Blueprints follower.)

AFAIK, there really aren't any open-source business application
controller frameworks "out there" now, and Struts often ends up filling
this void. Before we talk about extending Struts so that it encroaches
on business application space, perhaps we should consider whether
"Struts is enough".

What I'm thinking is that below Struts there should be a pure business
application controller framework. It would have all the same hallmarks
as Struts, such as input helpers, locations, handlers, and message
resources. But, these would all have pure signatures, free of web and
servlet semantics. Essentially, Struts without HTTP.

While things like "wizards" would live in the Struts layer, things like
"workflows" would live in this business layer.

Struts could work as an extension of the business framework. Struts
gathers up the input parameters, and other user gestures, and passes
them to the business framework. The business framework then passes back
dispatch tokens (like "success"), messages, and value objects (or
collections of value objects).

The business application controller decides whether to go to "success",
"failure", or "outForBeer". Struts fills in the path to the web
application resource representing each token. Likewise, the business
application controller passed back keys to the message resources, and
Struts renders the localized versions. And, of course, the business
application controller passes back objects with dynamic data to display,
and Struts sends them to the server pages that can render them.

This is exactly what many (or even most) of us are doing now, except
that we are all rolling our own proprietary solutions. I've worked with
some companies that have already designed full-blown business layer
frameworks such as this, based on the Struts architecture.

It may be time to take the hint and develop an open source business
application controller framework where we can "share the wealth" as we
have done with struts. Essentially, the idea would be to take Struts and
abstract-out the web and servlet semantics. Where Struts might use an
Action with an

   ActionForward
execute(ActionMapping,ActionForm,SerlvetRequest,ServletResponse),

the business layer framework would use a Handler with a

   Location process(Dispatcher,Helper,Context)

Struts then becomes a HTTP/Servlet extension of the business application
controller framework. Where many developers are now writing "Actions",
they could write web-semantic-free "Handlers" instead. Action classes
would still be available when you really need to use web semantics, but
otherwise, development effort can be put into web-free Handler classes.
When web-semantics are not required, a single "gateway" Action can
provide an adapter between Struts and the business layer framework. This
moves most of the hard-core development completely out of Action classes
and into platform-independant "POJO" classes.

I think the overall Struts architecture works great for a lot of people
(including me!). But when it comes to putting development effort into
things like true "workflows", we want that effort to be on the business
layer and outside of Struts.

The need for a true business application controller is burning issue for
most teams, and perhaps it's time that we addressed it head-on. We've
been drifting in this direction by moving many of our utilities to the
Commons, and splitting packages like the Validator in to a Commons
component and a dependent Struts components. Before we think about
adding anything like workflow support to the Struts core, perhaps we
should declare our feelings about whether there should be a business
layer framework below Struts, and whether any of us are willing to work
on such a thing.

Or, perhaps it is the case that the server-side of JavaServerFaces will
be able to fill this role. In which case, the question becomes whether
an approach to workflows will complement JSF or not.

Though, personally, I would be most interested in a business application
controller framework that was platform-independant and could be
implemented on Java or C#, or even PHP.