The main move regarding resource bundles is to use the commons-resources package (which is still in the "sandbox").

There has been some discussion about commons-resources on the Commons Dev mailing list lately. This post by Martin Cooper http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=106006188608959&w=2 summarizes the current state of affairs, but note that there are messages before and after it in the thread if you want complete context.

Your suggestion is on the Struts-specific side of things, but it might be worth monitoring that discussion (particularly about refining the abstractions) to help ensure that the general API doesn't make it difficult or impossible to get where you want to be.

Joe