On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Mainguy, Mike wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:03:14 -0400
> From: "Mainguy, Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Struts Developers List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: ActionForwards, et al (was SuccessAction)
>
> This conversation seems to be a by-product of looking at the Action classes
> as children of the servlet and consumers of messages instead of stand-alone
> entities.
> One intriguing way of dealing with this (IMHO) would be to consider elements
> as being able to "Pull" the required components out of some other area
> (Context?) (much like how the Turbine framework does).  Instead of Chaining
> commands or passing a context to every execute(), you would make available a
> generic application infrastructure that you could pull your required
> components from.
> Really this is probably just a semantic difference as the implementation (in
> my mind) would probably be much the same, but, to me when you word it as
> something 'Pulling' something out of the Context it makes more sense (errr,
> I can visualize it better at least) than trying to guess what should be
> 'Passed' along.
> Comments?

Doesn't "pulling" something from some application infrastructure imply
that somebody else "pushed" it into that infrastructure?  For example, if
you expect to find the HttpServletRequest object in there, presumably the
controller must have seeded that content.  It's also perfectly reasonable
for one Command in a Chain (in commons-sandbox/chain terms) to push
something into the Context that another Command executed later will need.

In terms of making the infrastructure available to callers, it's pretty
clear how passing a context object around makes the infrastructure
available to anyone who needs it.  Are there other options for how you'd
make the infrastructure available without passing it?  I haven't thought
of any.