And to add another pedantic log to the fire... :)

Quoted from dictionary.com because it's easier than looking it up in
a real text:
-------------------
et al

adv 1: used as an abbreviation of `et alii' (masc. plural) or `et
aliae' (fem. plural) or `et alia' (neut. plural) when referring to a
number of people [syn: et al., and others] 2: used as an abbreviation
of `et alibi' when referring to other occurrences in a text [syn: et
al., and elsewhere]

I think the second one fits.  I always fidget about the missing
period personally, but I'm working through those issues. ;)

-Paul