Each of the applications you install into tomcat (i.e. with a .war file) is, by default, deployed into its own context, which allows different applications to co-exist in one server happily. Each context is accessed from a url like: http://yourHost/warFilenameWithoutTheDotWar/. In tomcat, the application at / is typically called ROOT, a directory for which should be in your webapps directory. However, you can configure any application to be the root application.

So, in your case, if your .war file is called struts-example.war, and your host is localhost, you'd access your tour.htm file via the URL:

http://localhost/struts-example/tour.htm

rather than:

http://localhost/tour.htm

Give that a shot, since, based on your posting, I doubt you've configured struts-example to be the root context.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that users _would_ be a more appropriate place, but not 100%.

Hope it helps,

Ben

Mike Steigerwald wrote:

Hi, all,

I'm trying to teach myself struts using the example. I'm already stuck. I
don't know if this is a struts issue or a tomcat issue. Not wanting to
cross-post, I'll start here.

I've downloaded the struts-example from the 1.1 stable release. I mounted
the .war file into the NetBeans project. When I try to execute tour.htm, I
get this error from tomcat:

Apache Tomcat/4.0.6 - HTTP Status 404 - /tour.htm

----

type Status report

message /tour.htm

description The requested resource (/tour.htm) is not available.

----

I'm sure I've missed a step in the installation and deployment, but
re-tracing my steps hasn't helped. Can anyone help me fill in the blanks?

PS - Would the struts-user list be a more appropriate place to post
questions like this?

Thanks, in advance.

Mike Steigerwald
9237 Pinehurst Road