But... the chain has a set of steps that are "pre-progrmed", and there was some discusion as to what those steps should be idealy. Yes, it can do return codes but....

If HiveMind (or an aproach like it) is used to do the chain, then I can easily add interceptors, and alterantice idea for consideration

I found this very educational:
http://jakarta.apache.org/~hlship/HiveMind.ppt

... and based on that I made a "leap", that, hey, we can intercept the flow. A bit of AOP.
(There are some other ideas in there, like code to the interface "contract")

.V