Quoting Konstantin Shaposhnikov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hello all.
>
> If I understand corretly struts-chain package is used for
> modelling struts RequestProcessor using jakarta-commons chain library.

That is definitely *one* use case for the chain of responsibility pattern.

> When I've had heard this name I actually thought that this
> package is for composing struts actions as chain of commands
> and was very surprised when I found something different.
>
> So I what to know what do you think about described idea
> (define struts actions as chain of commands). I think that
> such functionality can be very usefull. Any comments
> are welcome.

It certainly makes a lot of sense.  For this purpose, you could do one of the
following:

* In a Struts 1.1 world, create an Action that knows how
  to set up an appropriate WebContext and delegate its work
  to an appropriately named chain.  Such an Action class could
  be parameterized so it was reusable for any chain-based
  definition of the required logic.

* In a Struts 1.2 world (where, presumably, we base the actual
  Struts RequestProcessor on commons-chain), you could customize
  the standard processing chain to insert application specific
  logic anywhere you need it, and/or replace the command that
  executes a "real" Struts Action (provided for backwards
  compatibility with Struts 1.1) with a call to an application
  specific chain instead.

Even outside the web tier, you might find the commons-chain impementation of the
Chain of Responsibility pattern useful as well.