--- "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Quoting Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > I added what I gathered was the last missing piece to struts-chain,
> file
> > upload support.  I'm really interested in doing whatever it takes to
> get
> > this up and running as a viable alternative to the RequestProcessor.
> >

> Cool!
>
> > >From here, I see the following needs to be done:
> >
> >  - Unit tests (big one)
>
> Here is where the chain's nature is going to help -- it's pretty
> straightforward
> to write unit tests for each individual command, call the execute
> method, and
> evaluate the results, because most commands simply perform some
> transformation
> on the information in the Context being passed around.
>
> >  - Tiles support
>
> Definitely going to be needed for a production release.
>
> >  - Portlet implementation
>
> Yep.  In my "copious spare time" :-) I'll try to download Pluto and
> start
> playing with this.
>
> >  - Documentation
> >
> > What is the status of commons-chain?  Are there any outstanding issues
> > that need to be sewn up?
> >

> There are no outstanding bugs that I'm aware of.  Unit test coverage is
> currently not all there, and the Portlet and Faces implementations of
> WebContext still need to be fleshed out.
>
> > I think I will tackle the unit tests next.  Tiles support should be
> pretty
> > straightforward, some copy/paste.  Craig had some ideas of how to
> support
> > the Portlet API, which I'll leave to him until I can learn more about
> it.
> > The documentation is the least important, at this stage, but it does
> help
> > bring to light rough spots.
> >
> > Finally, what is that status on Struts 1.2?  Could an early test
> version
> > be put in for early adopters?
> >

> One thing we'd talked about doing early in 1.2 was switching to
> commons-resources (which is also currently in the sandbox and would need
> to be
> promoted along with commons-chain).  If we're going to do that (and I
> think we
> should), it should really be before the first 1.2 release.
>
> commons-resources is pretty solid as well, but a JDBC-based resources
> implementation included out of the box would be really really handy.

-0 only because resources has been sitting for a while and I don't want to
hold up Struts 1.2 for a feature that would be nice to have but isn't
really necessary for a resources 1.0 release.  IMHO, resources should plan
on cleaning up any existing design issues and releasing 1.0.

I really think we should ship Struts 1.2 with either resources or chain
but not both.  We'll end up with another 1.1 once we start including more
than 1 major change per release.  I don't have the time right now to get
resources or chain included for Struts 1.2 so I won't veto however you
want to proceed.

David