Good Question:

We talked about this a few months ago on the struts-dev list.
I believe since we can't have both
ActionMessages validate()
ActionErrors validate()

Some developers wanted to wait for Struts 2.0 to deprecate the method.
Some wanted to do it sooner.

There really isn't a reason why we couldn't add a
doValidate() method that returned a ActionMessages.