I'd be concerned about associating a form with a ForwardConfig.  It's
possible that the resulting view could contain more than one form needing
prepopulation...  I
personally have come across this scenario multiple times in multiple web apps
I've been involved in.

Good point; I haven't faced this myself, but I agree we should try to design to support it.

I don't think I like the chaining idea; it just doesn't seem clear -- but I don't think you're advocating it as much as floating it.

However, I can see using the contents of the forward element as a way to provide more than one form bean to the renderer. I'll think about this some more. How would you actually make them available to the renderer? Via a map? Expect the renderer to fish them out of request or session scope?

Either way, it's looking like it might make sense to move the scope setting
to the form definition, or at least allow a default setting there which will
be honored if an action mapping doesn't specify a form scope.  (Could be a
topic for another thread)

I don't think I agree with this, or at least, I think you have to preserve the possibility that different actions would want to use the same form definition in different scopes. I don't think that would be a very good design, because of the risk of confusion, but I'm not ready to say we should block it.

Obviously we can't move the scope setting without sacrificing backwards compatibility -- that is, we can't move it at all, since we won't sacrifice compatibility -- although we could have a default scope on the form bean if that were helpful. I'm not sure I see that it is, but we can see...

The PageController would then concentrate on non-form data needed by the
view.
Also, maybe we can call the Renderer's method "render".

That's probably better.

Let's see if we can get some other folks to weigh in on this one...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
-- Jef Raskin