From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 5:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PropertyTag question/suggestion

"Punyansky, Alex" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to write a tag FormatNumberPropertyTag that takes a number from
> the bean, formats it and displays it. E.g., the price should have 2
> fraction digits and have grouping enable, id number should have no
> fraction digits and no grouping.
>
> I decided to extend the PropertyTag  ( this tag does what I need
except
> formatting ) by adding a formatType attribute. But the name is defined
> as private member variable in PropertyTag and therefore I have to
> recreate it in my tag. I could make my tag inherit from BaseInputTag
but
> I think it makes more sense to inherit from PropertyTag.
> So my questions are :
> 1. Why the name variable was made private in PropertyTag? Maybe I'm
> missing something.

Because of my (bad?) habits.  I always write my classes initially as
"final"
with everything private, and then loosen up on the ones that it makes
sense
to subclass.

This is certainly one of them.  I'm going to take a pass through the
various
tags and make useful ones for subclassing more appropriate.  This is
really
going to happen on the 1.0 code base, as we approach a real release
(finally!!! :-).

By the way, if you'd like to propose your formatting tag for inclusion
in
Struts, I'd certainly be interested in looking at it.

> 2. Should/Can it be changed to be protected?
>
> P.S. Craig, can you tell me what FWIW means (FWIW, I do
> not think of this as a "scriplet" -- it's just a compiler command
:-)).
> Thanks

Sorry about that ... I'm way to used to writing quick messages on
mailing
lists :-(

FWIW == For what it's worth

Craig