>> > 3. The XHTML and HTML4.0 standard says that there should be an attribute
>> > on the <html> tag specifying the language, a la

Sorry, I think, this is not correct. The HTML spec doesn't mention xmlns=.

>From HTML 4.01:

<!ENTITY % html.content "HEAD, BODY">
<!ELEMENT HTML O O (%html.content;) -- document root element -->
<!ATTLIST HTML
%i18n; -- lang, dir --
          ^^^^^

So, creating a document with <HTML xmlns= ...> means to create a document
that does _not_ conform to the HTML-Strict DTD.
This in turn may push the browser into legacy ("quirks") rendering mode
causing an unexpected layout of the page.

> 2. As far as I understand from http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ ,
                                                      ^^^^^^
(as you wrote - it's xhtml, not html. Xhtml is a successor of HTML4, not
 it's replacement.)

--
Matthias                        (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])