Richards-san wrote:

> With JavaScript you can specify the form action, so you'd have
> something like:
>
>       <form name="aForm" action="defaultAction.do" onSubmit="return
>checkSubmit(this);">
>           <input type="submit" name="button1" value="use default action">
>           <input type="submit" name="button2" value="use other action"
>onClick="document.aForm.action='otherAction.do';">
>       </form>

I tried that in a web application a long time ago.  Worked great with
Netscape, the action never changed in IE3.  I'd gotten so fed up with
IE from that and other projects, that I avoid client-side scripting
as much as possible.

However, it shouldn't be hard to write an Action that will handle
forwarding the action.  Something like:

        <form name="aForm" action="dispatcherAction.do" onSubmit="return
checkSubmit(this);">
            <input type="submit" name="SUBMIT_defaultAction.do" value="use default
action">
            <input type="submit" name="SUBMIT_otherAction.do" value="use other action">
        </form>

Then, have dispatcherAction look for which SUBMIT_xxx.do was sent,
take the suffix, and forward.  There you have a general action
dispatcher for all your forms.  Just don't name any fields other
than submit buttons to anything with a "SUBMIT_" prefix.

The only problem I can see with this is when one can hit enter instead
of a button.  Oh, but can't that only happen when there is if ((one and
only one edit box) and (one and only one submit button))?  Maybe it
is OK for all cases.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/