McClanahan-san wrote:

> For editing convenience, it would be easy to maintain a separate file for each
> language, and then concatenate them together in your build script.

I have a feeling that that won't work when the files are written in different
character encodings.  This generally isn't a problem with European languages,
but CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) all have character encodings that
overlap.  Even with Chinese and Japanese, there are multiple ways of encoding
character set within the same langauge - all mutually incompatible.  Such a
file would be impossible to edit.  Multiple

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-2022-JP" ?>

lines would be required, or a mechanism whereby the character encoding could
be changed on the fly for each

    <locale locale="en_US" xml:lang="ja-JP" xml:encoding="ISO-2022-JP">

Hey, that's an interesting idea.  But should the resulting file with several
encodings ever be opened by a text editor, one can expect a great deal of
corrupt data.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/