Laird Nelson wrote:

> > To debug, I've got it to the point where
> > ActionBase.createActionInstance() tries to create an instance of my
> > Action.  The action.xml file is set up properly.  The call to
> > newInstance() results in a ClassNotFoundException.
>
> Even more weirdly, the tomcat.log reports that ActionServlet is creating
> and populating my form bean successfully.  But when I stick a few
> System.out.println's in that form bean to verify the truth of this log
> message, they never fire, suggesting, perhaps, that the form bean can't
> be found either.
>
> The problem seems to be, then, anything located under WEB-INF/classes is
> not being grokked by the Tomcat classloader.  And yet deploying the
> struts example application works fine--drop it in and go.

Are you positive that your classes have a "*.class" extension, and are in their
proper package hierarchy?  In other words, a class named
"com.mycompany.mypackage.MyClass" should be located at:

    /WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/mypackage/MyClass.class

If your classes are really in JAR files (as one of your comments implied), the
JAR files need to be under "/WEB-INF/lib", not "/WEB-INF/classes".

> Any thoughts?

One other "obvious" thing to check is operating system read permissions on all
the files ...

> Cheers,
> Laird

Craig