Hi Laird,
Not sure if this is the desired behaviour, but I placed WAR file into \jakarta-tomcat\webapps folder. Re-started TomCat 3.2. Opened starthere.html and entered my name and clicked submit button.

TomCat 3.2 console responded with the following output:
ActionMappingBase: Succeeded.
Constructed.
Hallelujah.

A new web page displayed with the following text:
Done
You heard the man.

Hope this helps,
Gerry